BHARATANATYAM MASTER CLASS
Saturday, November 11, 2017 • 11 AM – 12:30 PM
Taught by Ragamala Dance Company dancer Tamara Nadel, this master class introduces participants to the Pandanallur lineage of Bharatanatyam, focusing on the rhythmic, gestural, and expressive vocabularies that are the underpinnings of the form. In addition to active dance instruction, the class explores concepts of lineage and aesthetics, the close relationship between music and movement in Bharatanatyam, the evolution of culturally rooted art forms, and their ongoing relevance in the 21st century.
About the company: Ragamala Dance Company's work explores the dynamic tension between the ancestral and the personal. Now in its 25th season, the company has toured extensively, highlighted by The Joyce Theater, the American Dance Festival, Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, Music Center of Los Angeles, Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art, International Festival of Arts & Ideas, University Musical Society at the University of Michigan, Just Festival, Bali Arts Festival, Sri Krishna Gana Sabha, and National Centre for Performing Arts.
Advance registration is now closed, however, we do still have a few spaces available, so you are welcome to register on-site at the Wilson Center!
Please note the following:
- The master class will begin at 11am and last until approximately 12:30pm.
- This class is free & open to all ages and levels of dance experience.
- Tamara encourages all participants to wear loose pants and a fitted top, as this is will best reflect the movements of the form, however, if you do not have these items, you are welcome to dress to your comfort level.
- You will be dancing in bare feet, so no special shoes are required, and tights are not recommended.
- We will have water available to all participants, or you are welcome to bring your own water.
- The class will take place in the Dawes Studio Theater, which is located in the Lynn Chappy Arts Education Wing at the Wilson Center. When you arrive, please look for signage to guide you to the class.
- If you have not previously been to the Wilson Center, we are located in Brookfield's beautiful Mitchell Park—south of Capitol Dr. and west of Brookfield Rd. Click here to find us on Google Maps!
- Parking at the Wilson Center is free.
- Our Box Office will not be open prior to the class , so if you have any questions prior to your arrival, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
This master class is made possible with the support of Wilson Center 2017/2018 Residency Sponsor Herzfeld Foundation. The presentation of They Rose at Dawn by Aparna Ramaswamy/Ragamala Dance was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts' National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, with additional support from the National Endowment for the Arts.